POSTED Jul 26
Senior Front End Ruby on Rails Engineer
Aha! Engineering is a mid-sized, fully remote team. We are centered around North American time zones so that we can collaborate during the workday.
Apply for Position
**Our core values include:**
* [The Responsive Method](https://www.aha.io/company/the-responsive-method)
* Moving quickly. We ship code multiple times a day. We believe in getting new features in front of customers and iteratively improving as we learn what works and what doesn’t.
* Product over process. We want our engineers to have the time and focus to solve deep and sometimes-difficult problems, so we aim to minimize the overhead introduced by heavyweight processes or excessive meetings.
* Collaboration. We each bring unique experiences and skills to the table. Working together to share that knowledge benefits the entire team and helps us to produce the best results for our customers.
**Who are we looking for**
We don’t believe that there is any tension between writing great code and being a kind person who elevates the rest of the team. We look for strong problem-solving skills and experience working on important functionality for a cloud-based product -- and just as importantly, we look for people who are humble, eager to learn, and always willing to help others learn as well. We want to work with people who enjoy picking up a problem and solving it, regardless of the technologies and techniques involved.
All of our engineers work across the full stack. As a Senior Front End Engineer, you can expect to spend the majority of your time working with React or HTML/CSS, but you will also be asked to write significant backend code in Ruby on Rails to support the frontend features you are building.
Our sole product is the Aha! web application. It is a single-instance, multi-tenant Ruby on Rails monolith supported by Postgres (database), Redis (background jobs), and memcached (Rails caching). We also run a Node.js web server to support collaborative editing and real-time updates. Our application is hosted on Amazon Web Services and architected with ECS for reproducibility and scalability.
We use React for rich client-side experiences on the frontend. Some of the features we’ve built with React include:
Our fully collaborative text editor, which supports multiple cursors and simultaneous editing by any number of users. We also published a blog post explaining the underlying technology.
Our presentation editor, which allows users to create presentations with slide themes, shapes, text, and embedded Aha! reports (which update live so the presentation is always up-to-date).
Our Gantt chart, which supports scaling and scrolling to change the timeline, drag-and-drop, and quick actions to create records or sort the bars.
We embrace new technologies that help us deliver a great product, but we also remain cognizant of the maintenance overhead that a new library or platform brings. We seek to solve the problems in front of us, rather than prematurely optimizing to address issues that may never materialize.
We do most of our collaboration and planning in Aha! itself, which we find especially rewarding. We also utilize GitHub, Slack, and GoToMeeting for video calls.
**What you’ll be doing**
We work on a broad range of features across the full stack. Some of your work might include:
* Implementing new features for our users, touching each layer of the MVC as needed
* Building deeply interactive reporting interfaces using React
* Working proactively with product and UX to refine and iterate on specifications as the feature takes shape
* Optimizing browser performance on screens and components that render large quantities of data to ensure Aha! is snappy and satisfying to use
* Interfacing directly with customers to quickly squash bugs as part of our regular support rotation
* Documenting components in our styleguide to help drive consistency across the interface
*If this sounds appealing, we would love to hear from you and discuss further. A real human reviews every application, so please use the form to help us learn more about you.*
- United States, Mexico, and Canada